In January, after my first play with my new loom, I started my first tapestry! I could hardly wait to try 'making art' with fibre. I had so many ideas to try but I thought I would start off with a simple wall hanging tapestry.
As I had done with my first attempt at weaving I ran some waste yarn through the warp to give a firm straight base to weave the body of my tapestry up from. This project was a big exercise in learning and I did learn so much. Next time I will weave in a hem edge. Also I will set the warp threads better - I hope! Well I did say it was a big learning process.
In the image above you can see one of my stick shuttles loaded with blue wool. There is also a 'butterfly' of brown wool I introduced later. I used the rigid heddle to separate the shed into up and down positions of alternate warp threads. A lot of tapestry looms are simple frame looms without a heddle.
Also there is a hair comb that I used to pull down the weft tightly. Only the weft yarns are seen in tapestry weaving the warp are not. The heddle would not have 'banged down' the weft tightly enough.